2012年9月22日星期六

Calgary fashion designer’s collection arises from Pakistani roots



  Once upon a time, there was a financial advisor at the Bank of New York, will make a difference in the world and wanted to explore his creative side.

He quit his job and traveled to Southeast Asia, where he falls in love with the fabrics and colors. Then he took his life and moved to Calgary, where he knew no one, to begin a career as a fashion designer, though he did not know how to sew.

It's incredible story Aleem Arif, in a nutshell. He always works towards the end of his tale.

The designer, 29, who calls himself an "entrepreneur of Fashion" presents the second collection of his career 18 months Fashion Week in Western Canada in Edmonton last week under the label Bano eeMee. Bano was the nickname of his mother as a child is what they eeMee Aleem calls when he was little.

At one point, hope Arif go to fashion school. "I wanted to go with Parsons (School of Design), but, you know, the parents of South Asia, they were like, 'You have a serious career."

That's how he ended up with a master's degree in international banking at the University of Boston. He worked for three and a half years at the Bank of New York algorithmic trading - trading with software and technologies - but at the time he was 26, he had had enough. "It was all numbers Today, I exchanged $ 2,000,000 today and I exchanged $ 5 million I thought.." That's not realistic. I do not make a difference. "

His parents are from Pakistan, said Arif decided to his roots by traveling to Southeast Asia to explore. While there he also explored his creative side, tissue collection, some models use (because even if he does not sew, she could guess) and hire a personalized on him 10 tunics.

He had visited Calgary on holiday once before and loved its relaxed atmosphere, so that it. Done after his return to Cowtown "with my 10 tunics and two suitcases and not knowing anyone" to launch their careers in fashion

Arif is nothing if it is not specified, it is revelers approached with enthusiasm and fashion boutiques and fashion events was invited small.

"I'm one Haggler you should address some of these shops -. I used to go to the bottom with a suitcase full of my tunics and everything I had, and I'd love to," Hey, you want to look at my business? "

"It was very humbling," he said of the experience. "This is a difficult area. I learned a lot."

He also started sewing and making patterns, to learn from mistakes and listen to the comments it has received. "A designer would laugh at me I did not know that it was a fashion princess, things like that -. Jargon - and I always feel like an idiot when I talk to a fashion designer, seriously," it said.

In the past 18 months, Arif has designed two collections, five stores in Calgary are now wearing his creations, as in Edmonton - 124th Street Hill debate.

His line that focuses on outerwear - tailored jackets, tuxedos and leather jackets - even knitting, tunics, tops and chiffon palazzo pants.

Unlike many of his friends in the mode "all these things that are incredible and they are so talented," Arif rather not custom parts. Instead, it focuses on ready-to-wear is consistent quality, portable and affordable jackets with prices ranging from $ 150 to $ 400 (for leather).

His pieces are stitched by artisans and he was trained in Pakistan. "My customers love it, they know that I understand all my craft," he said.

"For me it is a very intimate form of art, because people you enough to trust your room to wear your clothes."



没有评论:

发表评论